Monday 3 March 2014

Wow it's been a while

Well I didn't get round to writing a post in February so here's one for March. As you probably can tell from my more recent post I am getting closer to my GCSE's and my life is being taken over by them. Photography is what's taking away my weekends, unfortunately or fortunately this is what's stopping most of my twitching and birding and replacing it with taking pictures of mallards. Not the most interesting of subjects.




As I hope you can see my project is on movement. I began the project with these Mallards in St Albans, the movement is conveyed quite simply through a long shutter speed and throwing seed in for the ducks. After developing a technique such as this I went on to develop it using the same technique, but changing the subject or idea. I did both and moved on to two fighting Moorhen.


Once again in this picture I wanted to emphasis the chaos and action. Perhaps freezing the shot slightly more would have achieved a better result. Well then now that I had finished this section of the project it was time to move onto another sub-theme still keeping the idea of movement. What better to do than WATER. This is when timing was crucial, luckily I was heading down to Cornwall were there is plenty of water at the moment and proved a perfect opportunity to photograph the idealistic streams which run through Cornwall's countryside.





Well that's about where I'm up to now in the project, which has taken me a surprisingly long 4-6 weeks. But now back to the birding, on the way down to Cornwall and on the way back I took some stops. Firstly for the Red-flanked Bluetail which unfortunately me and 5 others dipped and secondly to the long staying Lesser Scaup in Bodmin Moor.

Lesser Scaup (furthest to the left)

Well then we are reaching the end of my post, I hope you enjoyed reading it if you did and I would like to leave you with some of my entries to the Veolia Wildlife Photographer of the Year Competition.






And that's about it.

2 comments: